The moving process is very hectic and drains your energy even if you have planned it perfectly to the last detail. Unexpected things can happen at the last minute, over which you have no control.
However, there are some creative ways by which you can make your move less chaotic and more pleasant.
Let us discuss in detail these hacks and how they will improve your move. You are assured of a stress-free move if you hire a professional removal company Melbourne with years of experience in moves of all types.
Tips to make your move smoother, faster, and happier
You can remove the stress out of your move in the following ways:
1. Preparation for the move:
Being well-prepared for your move is the first step you can take. Doing your homework well before the move will reduce your moving day stress
Hacks to help you pack efficiently and quickly:
- Inform the utility companies: You need to cancel the utilities at your current residence and get them installed at your new home. This can be done by just making a few phone calls. It is better to do this task as soon as you get your new address to ensure you do not forget it by any chance.
- Make your budget: You must make a detailed budget to ensure that your expenses do not cross your financial limits. There are online moving cost calculators that will help you estimate the moving costs.
- Hire a mover quickly: The next step is to select reputed, professional house removalists Melbourne for your move. Many online searches providing websites can provide you with a list of the top removalists reputed for their quality and trustworthiness. Get quotes from two to three companies, and select one that provides the best value for money.
- Arrange for your donations: Finalize the items you are going to donate, and arrange with charity organizations in advance so that they can pick up the furniture or other goods from your home.
- Get the required packing materials: Determine how much packing materials you will need for your move, and make a list so that you can buy them from your nearby store well in time before you start packing.
- Empty your fridge gradually: You can avoid the hassles of moving too many food items in your fridge by finishing them off before the moving day. This will also ensure that you do not have to throw away lots of food on the last day. You can even donate some of your unused fresh food to needy organizations.
Packing is a very crucial step in the moving process. If not done properly, you may end up with many damaged or lost items. But, there are ways by which you can secure your goods properly and save on time and costs.
The following packing tips will be useful:
- Let your clothes be on their hangers: You do not have to waste your energy removing clothes from their hangers. You can let them remain in their hangers, collect them together, and wrap them in large garbage bags.
- Let your dresses remain in their dresser drawers: You need not bother to empty your dresser drawers and pack your clothes in boxes. You could let them remain there, remove the drawers, and cover them with plastic wrap. Alternatively, you can leave the drawers in the dresser and wrap the dresser up if it is not very heavy.
- Use plastic wrap for items that may spill: Wrap those items, such as soap, shampoo, or liquids that may spill during transit by using plastic wrap.
- Pack up fragile items: Use your linens, towels, and socks for padding and packing breakables like perfume bottles, glasses, lamps, and other things. Sharp items like knives can be wrapped in dish towels and secured with rubber bands.
- Use your pots and sealable containers: You can pack small kitchen items in pots and containers instead of boxes. This will also help you save a lot of space.
- Use your suitcases: Since suitcases have wheels, they are much better than boxes for packing heavy items like books or vessels.
- Use coloured stickers: You can use stickers to assign colours for each room. This will help identify and arrange items quickly and save you the time needed for labelling boxes.
- Click photos of the contents in boxes: This is an ingenious idea that will quickly let you identify which items each box contains and help find them easily.
- Take photos of the backside of your computer and television: Remembering how each wire is fitted on your gadgets can be tough, especially after a tiring move. This practical idea of taking photos makes reinstalling your television or computer on the moving day much easier.
- Pack your essentials in a bag: These essentials include those items, such as toiletries, medicines, clothes, or documents that you may need at the end of the moving day. Packing them exclusively in a bag helps you to locate them easily.
3. Moving Day:
This is the most strenuous day of the moving process. The following tips should make the day smoother for you:
- Devise a plan for your kids and pets: Moving day can be very hectic, and little kids can add very much to your stress. The best way out is to request your relatives or friends to let your kids stay with them until the move is completed. Similarly, you need to make plans for your pets so that there are no hassles when you move.
- Stock up on snacks and drinks: The moving day can be tiresome, and you need to stock up on water and snacks to keep yourself hydrated and stay energetic. Take along your cooler filled with these items so that you can help yourself to a snack or drink on the way.
- Pack fully before the moving day: It is advisable to complete your packing well before the movers arrive. It is better to avoid last-minute packing on the moving day as it can be very stressful.
4. Unpacking your belongings:
After you have moved to your new home, unpacking is another challenging task that needs to be completed. But, there are ways to do it speedily, efficiently, and without stress.
Useful tips for unpacking:
- Unpack kitchen items first: Most people find kitchens the most challenging when it comes to unpacking. It is better that you attend to this task first to reduce your anxiety. You will find other rooms easier to unpack once the kitchen is completed.
- Set a time limit: Since unpacking can be done anytime you want after moving, people tend to procrastinate. You can set a deadline for finishing the unpacking by providing an incentive in the form of a housewarming party or a get-together with your friends at your new home. That will give you the motivation to do the unpacking without delay.
- Do it in phases: It would be better to do the unpacking in a phased manner instead of trying to unpack all the boxes together. Start with the most essential things, and focus on small tasks, ten to fifteen minutes at a time, rather than think about the entire unpacking process.
- Dispose of empty boxes as you unpack: The best way to keep clearing the space is by breaking down or disposing of your boxes the moment they are unpacked.
By following these invaluable tips, your moving task becomes much more enjoyable for you and your family. When you hire professional and cheap removalists Melbourne, such as TopGun Movers, all your belongings are handled with the utmost care, your moving stress is reduced, and you can relax and enjoy the comforts of your new home.