House relocation is often stressful. And add to it a pandemic and the anxiety level skyrockets. Since the pandemic seems to be at its peak since the last few months, it doesn’t make sense to put our everyday life activities on hold.
Many have begun house moving with precautionary measures to safely relocate during the COVID-19 pandemic. There are many relocation companies like the Top Gun Movers who offer contact-free house moving services.
So, if you’re contemplating relocating to a new house during the pandemic, here is a safety guide to follow.
COVID-19 Safety Guide for Moving House
House moving is considered an essential activity and therefore, you don’t have to worry about its legalities. In this guide, we will see the best ways to move your house by considering the safety factors during the pandemic as well as your things. Before we go on to the actual day of the relocation, let’s look at some things you can before the relocation.
What Should You Do Before the House Move?
- Choosing a Proper Removal Company
Make sure to hire a good relocation company that exercises extra caution during the outbreak of coronavirus. Go for a reputable moving company that is vigilant about the coronavirus pandemic. Ask as many questions you have to them to keep your mind at ease.
- What precautions are they taking?
- How often is the temperature of their employees checked?
- What precautions will the removalists take during the move?
- How can you remain contact-free from the move?
- How do they react if an employee or a customer has been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- What kind of safety guards do they provide for their employees?
- What more are they doing to reassure the customers about the COVID-19 safety precautions
Recently, the Australian government has released a COVID-19 Infection Control Training Test. If the movers have completed this test, it’s an added advantage.
- Procure the Safety Gear
Coming into contact with other people is one of the challenges during the house move. However, there are precautions that you can take to protect yourself and your family. The very first thing to do is to get proper safety items.
Make sure to get sufficient high-quality face masks, gloves, hand sanitizers and disinfectants. You will need all of these items to protect your family during the relocation. While you will need masks, gloves and sanitizers during the move, you will need the disinfectants after the move to clean all the relocated stuff.
- Keep the Essential Items Separately
You will be using some essentials like toiletries, clothes, keys, smartphones and laptops daily. So, before the movers arrive, keep all of these things aside, in a bag, out of the outsiders’ reach. This way, you don’t have to worry about its safety and can access them easily too.
- Check-in with the Apartment
If you are moving to or from an apartment, then make sure to check their moving guidelines. Many apartment societies have enforced new guidelines in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. So, it’s best to check in with them earlier and inform them about your date and estimated arrival time or departure time.
- Buy New Packing Boxes
Previously, you may have saved some money by getting the used boxes from the local stores. But due to the current condition, that option isn’t viable anymore. You will have to spend some extra bucks to get new packing boxes. Also, it’s recommended to wait for at least 24 hours after you have bought the boxes to use them as coronavirus can stay for up to 24 hours on cardboards.
What Should You Do During the Move?
- Before the removalists arrive, make sure that everyone in the house is wearing face masks and gloves. Some movers are offering services where no one needs to present. You can go for that option too, for the safety of you and your family.
- If you have any children, pets or old people in the house, keep them in a separate area away from where the removalists will move around, if possible.
- When the removalists arrive, don’t forget and greet them with a handshake! Stand away from them and greet them with a smile.
- Provide disinfectant liquid to the movers and ask them to wash their hands.
- Every area has a social distancing law and therefore, make sure to follow that. It’s recommended to maintain a 1.5-metre distance between the movers and your family.
- While the removalists will usually follow all the precautionary measures, you can also stress once more about them.
- The removalists may take some extra time due to the precautionary measures. So make sure to be prepared for it.
- Don’t switch on the air conditioning and instead, keep the windows open, if possible.
- Pay the removalists online. Don’t go for any contact payments like using cards or giving money.
What Should You Do After the Move?
After the removalists have relocated your items, make sure to disinfect every one of the boxes. Since all the boxes are securely covered, you don’t have to worry about leaking the water inside the boxes.
You can mix the disinfectant liquid in a spray bottle and spray over the boxes and go over with a dry cloth to clean everything. Also, contact your local authorities about the best way to dispose of these packing boxes.
Opt for a Contact-Free Move with Top Gun Movers
Top Gun Movers, one of the well-known Melbourne house movers in Australia, offers relocation services within the country through road. The moving services are completely contact-free with additional precautionary measures for the clients’ safety and the movers.
Call us on 03 8323 0234 to get more details about our house relocation services during the COVID-19.